Millions of lives depend on it.
First steps to stand for Palestinian freedom.
If this is the first time you’re taking action for Palestinian freedom, welcome. The most important thing to know is that the story we are told by the media changes wildly depending on when you start the clock. But the root of this violence is Israeli oppression of Palestinians.
Below is some key context, recent and historical.
- Jewish Voice for Peace calls on all people of conscience to stop imminent genocide. We can and we must stop this. Never again means never again — for anyone.
- The root of violence is oppression. We grieve the lives of those already lost and remain committed to a future where every life is precious, and all people live in freedom and safety.
- All eyes on Gaza. We can’t look away now. Israeli officials are openly planning to open “the gates of hell” on Gaza.
- Israel has been at war with Palestinians for over 75 years. Israel was founded through what is known to Palestinians as the Nakba, or catastrophe, in which the new Israeli military and violent paramilitaries forcibly displaced over 800,000 Palestinians, the vast majority of whom have never been able to return home.This is ethnic cleansing, pure and simple.
- The violent displacement of Palestinians from their homes and land continues today. Israel maintains an illegal military occupation of Palestine and an illegal and deeply inhumane blockade on Gaza. Major international and Israeli human rights organizations have identified Israeli rule over Palestinians as apartheid.
In the past week, Israel has dropped more bombs on Gaza than the U.S. did in a year of war in Afghanistan.
What we know from past Israeli state violence against Palestinians is that the bombs only stop once there is a sufficient mass outcry from the international community.
So we need to cry out, right now, as loud as we possibly can. And we’re so glad to have you with us.
Stay up to date on the most important news from Palestine and the Palestine solidarity movement, and receive action alerts and invitations to online events.